Dating royal doulton china
From 1775 the wavy lines were painted by hand, but in the 1870's Royal Copenhagen began to stamp and glaze the trademark.
Since 1935 Royal Copenhagen have added a small line in the trademark on almost every single piece of porcelain.
In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries. Alban's Church was built in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1887 with Alexandra, Princess of Wales as one of the driving forces, Doulton donated and manufactured an altarpiece, a pulpit and a font.
To cope with their enormous output, Doulton used both in-house and freelance designers and painters, and in some cases these decorators also added pattern numbers to the wares.
The trademark with the three waves has had changes through the years.
The best know is Robert Allen who added a ‘Ra’ number to wares decorated for Doulton in his design studio.
The Robert Allen numbers are covered in more detail here.‘Tango’ was released in 1934 on bone china with four colourways: V1481 (Gold band and black lines), V1482 (Black, Gold and Red), V1483 (Pale Blue band and Red lines), and V1484 (Green, Black and Red).
Operating originally in London, its reputation grew in The Potteries, where it was a latecomer compared to Royal Crown Derby, Royal Worcester, Wedgwood, Spode and Mintons.
Its products include dinnerware, giftware, cookware, porcelain, glassware, collectables, jewellery, linens, curtains and lighting.
Irving was a very astute businessman making the best of every opportunity afforded him.